Four dead after Canada shootings, man in custody: police

Four people were shot dead in Penticton, British Colombia, on Monday (local time) and a suspect is in custody, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) said in a statement.

“Police have determined four people are deceased at three locations within a 5 km (3.1 mile) radius,” the statement said.

“A man matching the suspect’s description turned himself into the Penticton RCMP detachment. The man remains in custody while the investigation progresses. Preliminary indications are this was a targeted incident,” the statement said.

The initial shooting incident was reported at 10:30 a.m. local time (1730 GMT). As police were en route to the scene, a second shooting was reported.

The suspect in both shootings turned himself in about an hour after the first report, police said.

 

A motive for the shootings was still unknown.

“Determining why this occurred is part of our ongoing investigation,” said RCMP regional commander Ted De Jager.

“I understand that this is a deeply troubling incident that has taken place in our community. Our hearts and thoughts are with all those impacted by this terribly tragic incident,” he added.

 

CULLED FROM:

 

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/northamerica/top-stories/four-dead-after-canada-shootings-man-in-custody-police/ar-BBVYpw0?OCID=newswrap

Advertisements

Suspect in Nipsey Hussle shooting charged with murder at court appearance

LOS ANGELES — Eric Holder, the 29-year-old aspiring rapper who is accused of fatally shooting Nipsey Hussle on Sunday, was charged with one count of murder, two counts of attempted murder and one count of possession of a firearm by a felon, during a court appearance Thursday afternoon.

The criminal complaint also includes allegations that he personally used a firearm and caused great bodily injury and death.

Holder was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of killing Hussle and wounding two other people in the attack.

Hussle, a celebrated rapper and community activist, was outside his shop on Slauson Avenue when a man approached and opened fire. Hussle was fatally wounded and two others were also shot. Police alleged Holder had gotten into a dispute with Hussle earlier in the day and returned with a gun and started shooting. He then fled in a waiting car, police said.

 

Graphic video from a surveillance camera shows a gunman walking up to Hussle and two other men in front of the shop. The gunman opens fire, and Hussle falls to the ground as the other men run from the gunfire.

Holder went by the moniker Fly Mac. He sang of body bags, “38 gun blasts” and bloody homicides. Holder is also believed to be a gang member, LAPD Chief Michel Moore said. But police do not believe the shooting had anything to do with gang rivalries.

 

Holder was convicted in 2012 of carrying a loaded firearm and was sentenced to 180 days in jail and three years’ probation, court records show.

A two-day manhunt ended Tuesday when a resident in Bellflower told authorities a man matching the description of Holder was walking down Artesia Boulevard. Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies raced to the scene and found Holder standing in a parking lot of a business.

Confronted by deputies, he offered no resistance and surrendered without incident.

The woman who drove the getaway car turned herself in to authorities Monday and is continuing to cooperate with detectives. She has not been arrested, said Josh Rubenstein, LAPD’s director of communications.

According to two sources familiar with the investigation, the woman has insisted to detectives that she never knew Holder intended to harm Hussle and was aware of the shooting only in the aftermath.

 

The role of the driver remains an issue of debate in the Hyde Park community where the shooting occurred.

Community activist Najee Ali is calling for the immediate arrest of the driver.

 

CULLED FROM:

 

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/northamerica/top-stories/suspect-in-nipsey-hussle-shooting-charged-with-murder-at-court-appearance/ar-BBVDu8a?ocid=newswrap

Kolade Johnson’s Dad shares the story of how his son was shot dead by Police

The police officer who pulled the trigger on 36-year-old Kolade Johnson on Sunday, March 31, 2019, boasted beforehand that he was going to “kill somebody here today”, according to Alhaji Remi Lukman, his Dad.

 

As the police raided the Onipetesi, Mangoro Bus Stop neighborhood in search of one Ismail Folorunsho on March 31, 2019, Johnson was among the crowd who repeatedly assured the officers of Folorunsho’s innocence.

 

The police officers then shot sporadically to disperse the crowd. One bullet caught Johnson. He would not recover, even after he was rushed to a nearby hospital.

“My son was murdered here at about 4:30pm by so called anti-cultism unit of the police force. I want it to be relayed, to be passed over to people just as it happened”, Lukman said in an interview he granted Punch.

 

What I really need are two things: One is immediate. The other is procedural.
“The immediate one is a police report to enable the mortuary collect the corpse. The second, procedurally, is justice over the death of the boy. I want those responsible to be fished out. To be brought to book. To serve as a deterrent to committing such act. These youths are the future leaders of Nigeria…..”

Bloodthirsty

Lukman said the policeman who pulled the trigger was a bloodthirsty, trigger-happy one.

“The act was carried out willfully after the policeman said he was going to kill somebody here today. And he actually killed somebody. That was the statement from the mouth of the man that fired the shot. He thereafter shot in the air and two stray bullets were directed at the crowd”, he said.

Lukman said Nigeria needs “a more organised police force. A police force that will dutifully handle their jobs, that has the interest of the people at heart”.

 

 

 

 

 

QyNktkpTURBXy9lMjNjMzhiNTk0NTgyMTYyN2Y5NGMxZTJmNTQ1M2QwYS5qcGeSlQMAIc0EOM0CX5MFzQMUzQG8.jpg

A healthcare system in shambles

One eyewitness has narrated that Johnson could perhaps have been saved if Nigeria’s healthcare was anywhere near decent.

“When we brought him here (General Hospital), there was no Doctor on duty. Only a Nurse who touched him lightly and went back inside. When Johnson died, we took him to the morgue. Imagine that when we got to the morgue, we were asked to rent a stretcher because we were told we couldn’t just lay the corpse on the floor. Inside a federal government hospital!! We paid for stretcher, we paid for everything! Every gaddem thing!” the eyewitness said.

 
The Nigerian Presidency has sent a condolence message across to the bereaved.

Arrest of suspects

The police command says it has arrested the officers responsible for Johnson’s death. The alleged perpetrators are members of the Special Anti Cultism Squad (SACS).

 

In a Tweet, the police said: “The men suspected to have carried out the shooting of Kolade Johnson have been apprehended and subjected to internal disciplinary procedures. The CP (Commissioner of Police) has revealed their names as (1) Insp Ogunyemi Olalekan and (2) Sgt Godwin Orji attached to Anti Cultism Squad”.
Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Zubairu Muazu, has paid a condolence visit to the family of the late Kolade Johnson.

Muazu reassured the family that justice will be done.

 

While receiving the police boss, Alhaji Lukman was quoted to have said: “I thought it is going to be one man’s fight, but seeing the police high command joining our family in this fight has shown that justice will not only be done to Kolade but to the entire Nigerian youths.”
Unending cases of Police Brutality

Police brutality and killings are commonplace in Nigeria, Africa’s most populous nation, where young men are randomly stopped and harassed on the streets by police officers, on suspicion of being internet fraudsters.

An intense 3-year social media campaign calling for the reform of notorious police unit—Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS)–has only resulted in lukewarm action from the presidency.

 

CULLED FROM:

 

 

Rapper Nipsey Hussle killed in shooting outside his L.A. store

 

Two other men were shot in the incident at Marathon Clothing in South Los Angeles. A suspect remained at large

 

LOS ANGELES — The Grammy-nominated rapper Nipsey Hussle was killed in a shooting outside his clothing store in Los Angeles on Sunday afternoon. Two other men were shot, and a suspect remained at large.

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti’s Crisis Response Team confirmed the news on Sunday night, saying, “Today we lost a great musician, Nipsey Hussle.” It said it was “consoling and offering support to the family.”
Hussle was shot multiple times in the parking lot at Marathon Clothing in South Los Angeles at about 3:25 p.m. and pronounced dead at a hospital,police sources said. One of the two men who were wounded were being treated at a hospital, and the other declined treatment, Los Angeles police Lt. Chris Martinez said.

 

No other information was immediately available, but just a couple of hours before, Hussle, 33, whose real name was Ermias Ashgedom, had tweeted, “Having strong enemies is a blessing.”

Los Angeles Police Commissioner Steve Soboroff said Sunday night that he and Police Chief Michael Moore had been scheduled to meet with Hussle and representatives of Roc Nation, Jay-Z’s entertainment agency and production company, on Monday to “talk about ways he could help stop gang violence and help us help kids.”

“I’m so very sad,” Soboroff said on Twitter.


Slain rapper Nipsey Hussle remembered
April 1, 2019 / 02:11

A large crowd, many of them crying, gathered at the scene on Sunday as police and media helicopters whirred overhead.

One of them was Matthew Talley of Denver, the engineer and director known as Megatron.

“It ain’t just Los Angeles. He was an inspiration that was bigger than Los Angeles,” Talley said. “You see all these people out here?”

“He was really cool,” Talley said. “He was a dope individual every time I met him.”
It’s just after 9pm PT, crowds are growing. @NipseyHussle music playing loud. A big party is surrounding the whole intersection of Slauson and Crenshaw. #NipseyHussle @NBCLA @RickNBCLA pic.twitter.com/iSJQIP3koR
— Kenny Holmes (@KHOLMESlive) April 1, 2019
Hussle’s debut studio album, “Victory Lap,” was nominated for Best Rap Album at this year’s Grammy Awards.

Hussle had long been associated with the Rollin 60s Neighborhood Crips, one of Los Angeles’ largest street gangs, which he publicly acknowledged in a 2010 interview with Complex magazine.

In more recent years, however, Hussle had developed an interest in technology and community development, and he was part of a team of artists and entrepreneurs who developed Destination Crenshaw, an open-air museum devoted to honoring African-American artistic achievement.

 

“In our culture, there’s a narrative that says, ‘Follow the athletes, follow the entertainers,'” he told the Los Angeles Times last year. “And that’s cool, but there should be something that says, ‘Follow Elon Musk, follow Zuckerberg.’

 

 

“I think that with me being influential as an artist and young and coming from the inner city, it makes sense for me to be one of the people that’s waving that flag,” he said.

Hussle was also an investor in Vector 90, a co-working space in South Central Los Angeles, where young people can take classes in science, technology and mathematics. He called the center a “bridge between Silicon Valley and the inner city,” saying at last year’s Afrotech conference that he hoped to expand to other cities, like Atlanta, Washington and Baltimore.
I’ll remember him this way. Bright, genuine, forward thinking.

I’ll remember the beauty that he saw in our community. And the beauty that he was.

He loved us. He’s left that love with us. And it cannot die.

Rest in Power, King. You mattered. #FarewellNipsey pic.twitter.com/fiSvURrz3U
— Ava DuVernay (@ava) April 1, 2019

RIP Nipsey. I just spent Thursday with him filming a video for a beautiful new song we created with Khaled. We filmed in Inglewood, close to where he grew up. He was so gifted, so proud of his home, so invested in his community. Utterly stunned that he’s gone so soon.
— John Legend (@johnlegend) April 1, 2019
In an interview last year with Forbes, Hussle said that as a youth, he’d fallen prey to the “ignorance and self-destructiveness in the narrative that was pushed on us through music in our generation.”

 

“I see how damaging that was, for myself included, and we’re all subject to the social pressure,” he said. “I wasn’t above it. Each of us are impacted by what’s going on around us. For me, understanding the platform I have and who it speaks to, it’s about being strategic.”

“I wanted to redefine the lifestyle and what we view as important,” he said. “When you hear ‘buy back the block’ as the narrative, that’s powerful. That’s a step towards redefining the expectation.”

Hussle and two co-owners opened Marathon Clothing in June 2017 as a “smartstore,” complete with a smartphone app on which fans could buy exclusive content and products.

“I wanted to open up a brick and mortar physical retail in this area and thought, ‘What’s the trajectory and likelihood of being successful as e-commerce grows?'” he said in an interview with Billboard at the time.

Hussle said his goal was to “create a theme park for the brand.”

“We haven’t seen that in hip-hop,” he said. “We haven’t seen someone create a real-world place where the brand lives and there’s products.”

Hussle’s death deeply shook the worlds of music and sports, in which he was seen as an inspirational figure.
This doesn’t make any sense! My spirit is shaken by this! Dear God may His spirit Rest In Peace and May You grant divine comfort to all his loved ones! ??????
I’m so sorry this happened to you @nipseyhussle pic.twitter.com/rKZ2agxm2a
— Rihanna (@rihanna) April 1, 2019

You were about something..positive and for your community in every chance you had to speak..and because of that You inspired millions..millions who will uphold your legacy forever. rest amongst the stars. 🙏🏾 https://t.co/7gZ795wcQT
— Pharrell Williams (@Pharrell) April 1, 2019
Issa Rae, the creator and star of the HBO series “Insecure,” said Hussle had inspired her “to invest and own in our communities.”

“He was a solid man who loved his woman, his family and his community,” she said Sunday. “This hurts.”

Eritrea’s Minister of Information, Yemane G. Meskel, also honored the slain rapper, whose family is from the African country.

“Extremely saddened to hear the news of the tragic and untimely death of iconic recording artist/entrepreneur Ermias Asgedom (Nipsey Hussle),” Meskel tweeted. “RIP & condolences to his family.”

Hussle visited Eritrea in April 2018, where he did an interview with Meskel’s website about his music career and being back in the country for the first time in 14 years.
???????????????????? So so SAD man!! DAMN man this hurt.
— LeBron James (@KingJames) April 1, 2019

Nipsey you a legend. I respect and admire your career path and what you did for the neighborhood. My heart broke today when I saw the news. I’m praying for your loved ones. This was sposed to be the year we got one in. God had bigger plans for you ????
— J. Cole (@JColeNC) April 1, 2019

R.I.P Nipsey pic.twitter.com/gjMwgkwrMO
— Bruno Mars (@BrunoMars) April 1, 2019

This is so painful! @NipseyHussle was doing great work for the people. Keep his legacy alive by carrying on his work! Sending love to his family. Rest in Power King 👑 pic.twitter.com/hE2MNibbZ7
— Colin Kaepernick (@Kaepernick7) April 1, 2019

RIP Nipsey man. This is tragic
— Chance Owbum 📅 (@chancetherapper) April 1, 2019

Real one after real one smh R.I.P Nipsey the solid morals you stood on and your legacy will last 4L!!
— Saint Laurent Don (@21savage) April 1, 2019

Wow. I don’t even know what to say. I’m confused. Nipsey and I had just started really getting to know each other. I feel honored to have worked on his project. Nipsey represents change, he represents evolution, he represents everything our culture needs to embrace. pic.twitter.com/BN9240BYwK
— Diddy (@Diddy) April 1, 2019
Hussle and the actor Lauren London were the parents of a 2½-year-old child; Hussle had other children from previous relationships, as well.

 

CULLED FROM:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/man-killed-two-others-injured-outside-rapper-nipsey-hussle-s-n989371

 

Fourth victim of Dutch tram shooting dies in hospital: prosecutors

The death toll from an alleged terror attack on a tram in the Dutch city of Utrecht rose to four on Thursday after an injured man died in hospital, prosecutors said.

Prosecutors have already said that a Turkish-born man previously identified as Gokmen Tanis has confessed to terrorist-related offences over the gun rampage.

“One of the seriously injured victims of the fatal shooting in the tram on 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht died today of his injuries. He was a 74-year-old man,” a prosecutors’ statement said.

“This means that the 37-year-old suspect of the fatal shooting on March 18 is now suspected of four-fold murder or manslaughter with a terrorist objective, attempted murder and a threat with a terrorist objective.”

Another seriously injured victim remains in hospital while a third injured person has returned home, prosecutors added.

The investigation continues and a court will decide at the end of next week on the alleged gunman’s further detention, the statement said.

Prosecutors said on Friday that Tanis had confessed to terrorist charges over the rampage, and said he acted alone. Several other people were arrested but released.

Dutch authorities previously said they were probing whether Tanis “acted out of a single terrorist motive or whether from personal problems in combination with radicalised ideas.”

Thousands of Dutch mourners including Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte took to Utrecht’s streets on Friday evening to pay their last respects to the victims of the rampage.

Rutte tweeted on Thursday about the “immensely sad news that one of the victims of the attack in Utrecht died.”

“We all feel the same as last week: disbelief, impotence and also anger. Our hearts go out to the relatives. I wish them much strength,” Rutte said.

If the suspect is eventually convicted of terrorism offences it will be the worst terror attack in the Netherlands, which has until now been spared the kind of large-scale attacks that have rocked its European neighbours.

However there have been a series of recent scares. In August, a 19-year-old Afghan with a German residency permit stabbed and injured two American tourists at Amsterdam’s Central Station before being shot and wounded.

In September, Dutch investigators said they had arrested seven people and foiled a “major attack” on civilians at a major event in the Netherlands.

 

CULLED FROM:

http://www.msn.com/en-xl/europe/top-stories/fourth-victim-of-dutch-tram-shooting-dies-in-hospital-prosecutors/ar-BBVmVO1?ocid=spartanntp