How injury will prevent Mikel Obi from Cameroon ties today.

Super Eagles gaffer Gernot Rohr has confirmed his wards’ readiness to face Cameroon in the round of 16 encounter at the ongoing 2019 African Cup of Nations in Egypt.

Nigeria will go into this game against the reigning champions of Africa without their captain Mikel Obi who is currently injured.

Cameroon have not beaten Nigeria in any competition since 2000 when they claimed one of their five Africa Cup of Nations trophies with a penalty shootout victory in the final.

The Indomitable Lions have beaten Nigeria four times in 22 previous meetings, but remarkably three of those wins have come in the final of this competition.

Recently, Nigeria have won four and lost none of the last five contests, including a 5-1 aggregate triumph to seal their place at the 2018 World Cup.

Gernot Rohr has now explained that all his players were superb in training and are prepared for penalties should the full time ends goalless.

”All the players made their penalties in training yesterday, but match is sometimes different. We hope we can win in 90 minutes or 120 minutes

”Good news on Jamilu Collins. He can play now but I don’t know if he can start. Mikel not able to play. Shehu is training now but not ready yet also,” Rohr told reporters at the media conference.

 

Earlier, Legit.ng had reported how Super Eagles captain John Obi Mikel sealed a two year deal with Turkish League giants Trabzonspor as a free agent.

The Nigerian captain, who is currently with the country’s national team has an option to renew his contract with another one year depending on his performance at the club.

 

CULLED FROM:

 

http://www.msn.com/en-xl/sport/football/rohr-says-mikel-will-miss-tie-against-cameroon-prepares-his-wards-for-penalties/ar-AADTFxT?li=BBQbcGp&ocid=spartandhp

 

Advertisements

How several bandits were neutralized by troops in Four Nothern States.

The General Officer Commanding 8 Division, Major General Hakeem Otiki, has said the recently launched Operation Habin Kunama III, successfully neutralised several bandits in the zone.

Otiki stated this while updating journalists in Sokoto on the success recorded so far by the operation since it was launched last year.

He revealed that Operation Habin Kunama III has captured some bandits, arrested informants, apprehended logistics suppliers, destroyed bandits camps as well as created enabling environment for farming activities in the affected villages.

He also disclosed that with renewed effort by the Army Headquarters and increased collaboration with other security agencies, which includes the Nigerian Air Force, the dynamics of the operation has changed.

He said:

 “This has yielded more positive results culminating into several encounters and defeat of bandits groups in Isa, Rabbah and Burkusuma around Sububu Forest in Sokoto State.

“In Katsina State, troops operating super camp in Batsari, Safana and Kankara also made contact with bandits gangs and denied them freedom of action in Dumburum Forest.

“In Kebbi State, troops deployed in super camp in Bena, Jega and Danko Wasagu also encountered and defeated bandits in Gando Forest.

“The 8 Division is also effectively collaborating with Operation Hadarin Daji as a blocking force against fleeing bandits from Zamfara State and retrieve several arms and ammunition in the process.

 

CULLED FROM:

 

http://www.msn.com/en-xl/news/other/troops-kill-dozens-of-bandits-in-north-west-%E2%80%93-goc/ar-AADyLlt?li=BBQbcGp&ocid=spartandhp

14 soldiers court -martialed by Nigeria Army.

One major, two captains, two staff sergeants and one sergeant are among 14 soldiers arraigned before a seven-member court martial over their alleged involvement in murder, kidnapping and other offences.
The General Officer Commanding, 6 Division, Maj. Gen. Jamil Sarham, disclosed this on Saturday during the inauguration of the General Court Martial at the Army Division in Port Harcourt Rivers State.
Sarham listed other offences of the accused persons as attempted murder, desertion, crime in relation to public and services property, disobedience to standing orders and conducts prejudice to service discipline.
He stated that the court martial remained one of the apparatus used by the Nigerian Armed Forces to discipline erring personnel.

 

Sarham, who is also the Land Component Commander, Operation Delta Safe, said, “The Nigerian Army is a creation of the Nigerian Constitution to carry out specific tasks to support the government effort in providing security for the Nigerian nation.
“To achieve this, a discipline and professional Armed Forces is imperative and this in line with the Chief of Army Staff’s vision to have a professionally responsive Nigerian Army in the discharge of its constitutional roles.
“There is no gainsaying that unless such a body of professionals is disciplined, achieving victory in battle and other specified assignments would not be easy.’’

 

He added that Section 131 of the Armed Forces Act conferred on him the powers to convene the General Court Martial and try the accused persons who allegedly violated some codes guiding the army’s professional conduct.
He said, “We have a total of 14 accused persons; three officers and 11 soldiers. Among them is one major, two captains, two staff sergeants and one sergeant and others.”
Sarham explained that the accused persons had earlier been thoroughly investigated to ensure that no innocent person was wrongly tried and punished, promising that justice would be done in all the cases.
Sarham further said, “Trial is not only aimed at seeing that offenders are punished, but to serve as deterrent to others to prevent future occurrence. I must state clearly that the accused persons are presumed innocent of the offences charged against them until proven guilty by this court.”
The President of the Court Martial, Brigadier Bassey Etuk, promised that the court martial would ensure that justice prevailed.
Etuk stated, “I want to assure you (Sarham) that based on the confidence you repose in me, we will do justice.”

 

CULLED FROM:

http://www.msn.com/en-xl/africa/nigeria/major-captains-11-others-face-trial-for-kidnapping-murder/ar-AACWUzc?li=BBQbcGp&ocid=spartanntp

How Commanding Officer of 158 Battalion was killed by Boko Haram on June 12.

The Boko Haram insurgents have attacked a military location at Kareto village in the Mobbar Local Government Area of Borno State, killing the Commanding Officer of 158 Battalion, and an undisclosed number of soldiers.

The acting Director, Public Relations, Nigerian Army, Col Sagir Musa, had yet to reply a text message sent to his phone on the incident as of press time on Friday.

There are fears that the terrorists are still within the local government area planning more attacks on troops and civilians.

The attack on the 158 Battalion and the killing of its commanding officer came about one month after the terrorists planted an Improvised Explosive Device which killed the Commanding Officer of 154 Task Force Battalion, Lt Col Yusuf Aminu.

 

The officer and two soldiers were on May 13 killed along the Borgozo-Mauli Road in Borno State, an incident which was confirmed by the army days later, after the Chief of the Army Staff, Lt Gen Tukur Buratai, attended the burial of the soldiers at the Maimalari Military Cantonment Cemetery, Maiduguri.

Our correspondent learnt on Friday that in the latest spate of attacks, the terrorists attacked the 158 Battalion’s location on Democracy Day, carted away military weapons and later relocated to neighbouring Fuchimiram village.

The commanding officer, whose name had yet to be confirmed, and some soldiers, were reported to have been killed by the terrorists.

“The troops in the entire local government and beyond are still vulnerable. We need more reinforcements to be able to curtail the terrorists’ attacks. Some of the terrorists are presently in Fuchimiram village,” a military source said.

A day before the June 12 attack, the military authorities confirmed that terrorists had invaded Darak in northern Cameroon, killing 10 soldiers of the Multi-National Joint Task Force, while 64 of the insurgents were also neutralised during the fire fight.

The MNJTF Chief of Military Public Information, Col Timothy Antigha, in a release later said that about “300 heavily armed Boko Haram terrorists invaded Darak,” but claimed that they were repelled by troops.

 

CULLED FROM:

 

http://www.msn.com/en-xl/africa/nigeria/bharam-fighters-kill-another-army-commander/ar-AACTHVZ?li=BBQbcGp&ocid=spartandhp

How Boko Haram Propangandist were destroyed by Nigeria Army

The Nigerian Army on Monday, June 10 said it killed nine ”social media personalities” of the Islamic State for West African Province(ISWAP)

Colonel Sagir Musa, army director public relations, who disclosed this in a statement, said the annihilation of members of the Boko Haram media team further confirmed that the Nigerian Army has decimated the group and they no longer have freedom of action.

He gave the names as: “Abu Hurayra al-Barnawi, Ali al-Ghalam al-Kajiri, Abu Musab Muhammed Mustafa al-Maiduguri, Abu Abdullah Ali al-Barnawi, and Abu Musa al-Camerooni.

”Others are Ahmed al-Muhajir, Abu Ali al-Bamawi, Abu Khubayb bin Ahmed al-Barnawi, Abu al-Qa’qa’ al-Maiduguri.

“The terrorist group is known for its online media propaganda and quest to maintain a virtual caliphate,” he said.

 

NAN reports that Boko Haram has been using media since 2009, starting with a very traditional media approach through propaganda films, many of them aimed at recruiting new fighters from Nigeria and neighbouring countries including Niger, Chad and Cameroon.

NAN reports that from 2014, their strategy changes into more use of social media platforms, videos, and creating multiple accounts like Facebook and Twitter platforms, mostly as a way to communicate with individuals.

Meanwhile, troops of the Nigerian Army repelled Boko Haram attacks after weeks of incessant attacks in Madagali local government area in Adamawa state.

Residents of Gulak, the headquarters of Madagali LGA were overjoyed on Wednesday, June 5, when soldiers returned with two gun trucks reportedly seized from Boko Haram fighters during an encounter.

Eye witnesses said the soldiers had mobilised from Gulak the previous night to intercept insurgents following an intelligence report of an impending attack on the town.

Residents said they were considering fleeing the town after sounds of blasts and gunfire rattled the air from the Borno side of the border amid reports that some neighbouring villages were under attack.

 

CULLED FROM:

 

http://www.msn.com/en-xl/africa/nigeria/army-destroys-boko-harams-propaganda-team-kills-9/ar-AACEB4o?li=BBQbcGp&ocid=spartandhp

Many Nigerians killed by soldiers during protest in Adamawa State.

Yola / Jalingo – Scores of persons were reportedly killed in Gurin, a border town in Fufore Local Government Area of Adamawa State, during a clash between soldiers and youths on Thursday.

It happened when soldiers from 23 Brigade were drafted to the town to quell a protest by youths against the ban on motorcycles.

The youths were also protesting rampant kidnappings and excessive use of force on inhabitants of Gurin by soldiers and the police.

 

Sources in the town said soldiers and police used live ammunition on defenceless villagers who took part in the protest.

“Tension has been building in the area for a long time as we became fed up with the insecurity and uncalled harassment by security operatives,” Musa Mallum, a resident said.

“As I am talking to you now, there is serious demonstration going on in Gurin now due to the rampant kidnapping and excessive use of force on us by soldiers and police.”

Motorcycle transport is popular in the town for ferrying people and goods, especially foodstuffs from farms.

The ban on motorcycles was part of security measures which had been stepped up in the town, being a border post vulnerable to insurgencies and other criminal activities.

According to eyewitnesses, soldiers were sent to the town in trucks when the youths started burning tyres and chanting war songs against the police and other security forces for arresting and detaining inhabitants of the town who flouted the ban on motorcycles.

 

The Adamawa State government, through the permanent secretary, Ministry of Information and Strategy, Polycap Ayuba, in a statement, said the ban on the use of motorcycles was not meant to trample upon the rights of law-abiding citizens but to halt the activities of kidnappers and insurgents who use the two-wheel machine to rob and attack people.

Polycap Ayuba also appealed to the people to exercise restraints since the ban was still in force and it would be lifted at the right time.

He confirmed that soldiers were drafted by the government to put a stop to the massive demonstrations of the people of Gurin town.

Also speaking, the State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Jerengol, said he was aware of the problems of Gurin town and all efforts were being made to bring the situation under control.

Tiv/Jukun Crisis: Militiamen Kill 12 In Wukari

In a similar development, about 12 persons were feared killed by suspected militiamen at a roadblock at Byepi village, along Wukari-Jalingo road in Wukari, Taraba State.

Sources said 11 persons were reported to have been forced out of a vehicle conveying passengers from Zaki Biam to Jalingo by suspected militiamen. It was learnt that the 11 were taken to an unknown destination where they were hacked to death, including the driver.

According to a victim, who escaped, he was beaten, cut with machete and asked by the militias to go back to Zaki Biam and report what happened to his co-travellers.

The police spokesman in Taraba State, David Misal (DSP), however, confirmed to Daily Independent that only three persons were killed by unknown gunmen about 6p.m on Wednesday at Byepi village along Wukari-Jalingo Road.

A police officer, who was among the men on duty in the Wukari, confirmed that the ill-fated vehicle, which conveyed those passengers was still at Byepi village.

 

CULLED FROM:

 

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/africa/nigeria/scores-killed-as-army-youths-clash-in-adamawa/ar-AACwxsm?li=BBQbhAJ&ocid=iehp

How ISWAP took over Nigeria Army Base.

Haram jihadists have carried out multiple attacks on military bases in northeast Nigeria’s Borno state, overrunning three of them and stealing weapons, security sources said Monday.

Fighters believed to be from the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), the IS-linked faction of Boko Haram, stormed four bases from Friday through Sunday in the latest spate of attacks targeting the army, sources from the military and militia said.

 

There were no immediate details on casualties.

 

In the latest incident, on Sunday, the insurgents made a failed attempt to seize a base in the town of Dikwa following a predawn attack.

“The terrorists attacked troops in Dikwa around 4:00 am (0300 GMT) but the attack was repelled without casualty on our side,” a military officer, who did not want to be identified, told AFP.

The fighters came in 13 trucks fitted with heavy machine guns, said a second officer, who gave a similar account.

Dikwa which lies 90 kilometres (56 miles) from the state capital Maiduguri, is home to more than 70,000 displaced people who live in several camps where they rely on food and humanitarian assistance from aid agencies.

Late on Saturday, the jihadists blasted into a base in the town of Marte, 40 kilometres away, pushing troops out after a prolonged gunfight, the two military sources said.

The militants ransacked the base, carting away weapons abandoned by fleeing soldiers and setting fire to it. The soldiers withdrew to Dikwa.

 

As they retreated towards Lake Chad, the Islamist fighters sacked another base in Kirenowa village, 30 kilometres from Marte.

  • Soldiers evacuated –

“The soldiers in Kirenowa have been evacuated to Dikwa after the attack by the terrorists”, the first officer said.

The jihadists were believed to have launched the attacks from their Lake Chad enclave where the Nigerian military has intensified aerial attacks on ISWAP camps.

Troops in a base in Dalwa village, 16 kilometres outside Maiduguri, were dislodged after a six-hour battle with ISWAP fighters which continued into Sunday, said the military sources and an anti-jihadist militia.

The fighting forced Marte residents to flee into Maiduguri, arriving in trucks on Sunday, according to residents of the city.

However, troops returned to the town late Sunday with reinforcement from Maiduguri, the sources said.

ISWAP has since July last year targeted dozens of military bases in attacks that have left scores of soldiers dead.

Boko Haram’s decade-long insurgency has killed 27,000 people and displaced about two million in Nigeria.

The violence has spilled over into neighbouring Niger, Chad and Cameroon, prompting a regional military coalition to defeat the Islamist group.

 

CULLED FROM:

 

http://www.msn.com/en-xl/africa/nigeria/boko-haram-attacks-military-bases-in-nigeria-steal-arms-sources/ar-AACk7He?li=BBQbcGp&ocid=spartandhp