How ISWAP took over Nigeria Army Base.

Haram jihadists have carried out multiple attacks on military bases in northeast Nigeria’s Borno state, overrunning three of them and stealing weapons, security sources said Monday.

Fighters believed to be from the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), the IS-linked faction of Boko Haram, stormed four bases from Friday through Sunday in the latest spate of attacks targeting the army, sources from the military and militia said.

 

There were no immediate details on casualties.

 

In the latest incident, on Sunday, the insurgents made a failed attempt to seize a base in the town of Dikwa following a predawn attack.

“The terrorists attacked troops in Dikwa around 4:00 am (0300 GMT) but the attack was repelled without casualty on our side,” a military officer, who did not want to be identified, told AFP.

The fighters came in 13 trucks fitted with heavy machine guns, said a second officer, who gave a similar account.

Dikwa which lies 90 kilometres (56 miles) from the state capital Maiduguri, is home to more than 70,000 displaced people who live in several camps where they rely on food and humanitarian assistance from aid agencies.

Late on Saturday, the jihadists blasted into a base in the town of Marte, 40 kilometres away, pushing troops out after a prolonged gunfight, the two military sources said.

The militants ransacked the base, carting away weapons abandoned by fleeing soldiers and setting fire to it. The soldiers withdrew to Dikwa.

 

As they retreated towards Lake Chad, the Islamist fighters sacked another base in Kirenowa village, 30 kilometres from Marte.

  • Soldiers evacuated –

“The soldiers in Kirenowa have been evacuated to Dikwa after the attack by the terrorists”, the first officer said.

The jihadists were believed to have launched the attacks from their Lake Chad enclave where the Nigerian military has intensified aerial attacks on ISWAP camps.

Troops in a base in Dalwa village, 16 kilometres outside Maiduguri, were dislodged after a six-hour battle with ISWAP fighters which continued into Sunday, said the military sources and an anti-jihadist militia.

The fighting forced Marte residents to flee into Maiduguri, arriving in trucks on Sunday, according to residents of the city.

However, troops returned to the town late Sunday with reinforcement from Maiduguri, the sources said.

ISWAP has since July last year targeted dozens of military bases in attacks that have left scores of soldiers dead.

Boko Haram’s decade-long insurgency has killed 27,000 people and displaced about two million in Nigeria.

The violence has spilled over into neighbouring Niger, Chad and Cameroon, prompting a regional military coalition to defeat the Islamist group.

 

CULLED FROM:

 

http://www.msn.com/en-xl/africa/nigeria/boko-haram-attacks-military-bases-in-nigeria-steal-arms-sources/ar-AACk7He?li=BBQbcGp&ocid=spartandhp

Advertisements

Lai Mohammed disgraced OBJ.

Abuja – The Federal Government has described the comments by former President Olusegun Obasanjo, imputing ethno-religious motive to Boko Haram and Islamic State’s West Africa Province (ISWAP) as deeply offensive and patently divisive.
The government said such indiscreet comments were far below the status of an elder statesman.
Its position was contained in a statement signed by Segun Adeyemi, Special Assistant to Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed.

 

In the statement issued in Abuja on Tuesday, Lai Mohammed said it was particularly tragic that a man who fought to keep Nigeria one is the same one seeking to exploit the country’s fault lines to divide it in the twilight of his life.
He insisted that Boko Haram and ISWAP were terrorist organisations, adding that they cared little about ethnicity or religion when perpetrating their senseless killings and destruction.
“Since the Boko Haram crisis, which has been simmering under the watch of Obasanjo, boiled over in 2009, the terrorist organisation has killed more Muslims than adherents of any other religion, blown up more mosques than any other houses of worship and is not known to have spared any victim on the basis of their ethnicity. It is, therefore, absurd to say that Boko Haram and its ISWAP variant have as their goal the ‘Fulanisation and Islamisation’ of Nigeria, West Africa or Africa,” Alhaji Mohammed said.

 

He said President Muhammadu Buhari put to rest the mischaracterisation of Boko Haram as an Islamic organisation when he said, in his inaugural speech in 2015, that “Boko Haram is a mindless, godless group who are as far away from Islam as one can think of”.
The minister said Obasanjo’s comments are therefore as insensitive and mischievous as they are offensive and divisive in a multi-ethnic and multi-religious country like Nigeria.
He wondered whether there was no limit to how far the former president would go in throwing poisonous darts at his perceived political enemies.
He said Obasanjo’s prescriptions for ending the Boko Haram/ISWAP crisis, which included seeking assistance outside the shores of Nigeria, were coming several years late, as President Buhari had done that and more since assuming office, hence the phenomenal success he had recorded in tackling the terrorists.
The minister said: “Shortly after assuming office in 2015, President Buhari’s first trips outside the country were to rally the support of Nigeria’s neighbours – Benin, Cameroon, Chad and Niger – for the efforts to battle the terrorists.
“The president also rallied the support of the international community, starting with the G7, and then the US, France, and the UN.
“That explains the massive degrading of Boko Haram, which has since lost its capacity to carry out the kind of spectacular attacks for which it became infamous, and the recovery of every inch of captured Nigerian territory from the terrorists.”
He said Obasanjo’s call for wide consultations with various groups as part of the efforts to tackle the Boko Haram crisis had been neutralised by his ill-advised comments which had served more to alienate a large number of Nigerians, who were offended by his tactless and distasteful postulation.
The minister called on the former president who, he said, took bullets for Nigeria’s unity, not to allow personal animosity to override his love for a united Nigeria.
He said it would not be out of place if he withdrew his unfortunate statement and apologised to Nigerians.

 

CULLED FROM:

http://www.msn.com/en-xl/africa/nigeria/obasanjos-comments-on-boko-haram-offensive-divisive-—-fg/ar-AABJ7kM?li=BBQbcGp&ocid=spartandhp