Boko Haram’s child fighters released by Nigeria Army.

Following the effort to end insurgency in the northeast region of Nigeria, the Nigerian Military on Thursday, November 7, said over 86 children used as child soldiers by the Boko Haram insurgents have been handed over to the Borno state government.

The defence headquarters in a statement by its spokesperson, Colonel Onyema Nwachukwu, said the children were handed over to Borno state government by the Operation Safe Corridor.

 

Onyema said these children voluntarily surrendered to troops of Operation Lafiya Dole and that they are currently with the Borno state Rehabilitation Centre located in Bulumkutu.

Nwachukwu while stating that the Military released the children to the state government to ensure that other minors and other repentant Boko Haram fighters in the northeast region get all the support needed to embrace peace.

He also said that the children received by the state government are between the ages of 10 and 19 and that they were part of over 1,370 Boko Haram fighters who had surrendered to troops.

Nwachukwu also said that a fresh set of 500 Boko Haram members who have repented from terrorist activities will be transferred to Operation Safe Corridor for the De-radicalization, Rehabilitation and Re-integration Programme.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the Nigerian Army had announced its plan to recruit 4,832 soldiers who would be deployed to different parts of the country.

The commandant of the Depot Nigerian Army, Major General Sani Mohammed said new recruits would be officially commissioned after a passing out parade.

 

Speaking on the training for the fresh recruits, Major General Aminu Maitama who represented the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai, said training in the Nigerian Army is a continuous process that would last throughout a soldier’s career.

Also, some troops fighting Boko Haram insurgents in the region repelled an attempt by the terrorists to infiltrate the capital city of Yobe state, Damaturu.

The commissioner of Police in the state said the attack was averted following intelligence gathered about the suspicious movement of the insurgents ahead of the incident.

 

SOURCE:

 

MSN

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.