How Nigeria Police discovered detention camp in Ibadan.

Barely two weeks after the discovery of illegal rehabilitation/torture centres in Katsina, the Oyo police command on Monday, November 4, discovered another torture centre in Ibadan, the state capital.
Legit.ng’s regional reporter in Ibadan, Ridwan Kolawole, reports that the state commissioner of police, Shina Olukolu, supervised the release of 259 inmates at an illegal correctional facility at Oloore Mosque around Ojoo axis of the state.
It was learnt that the inmates who were camped in a storey building has about 30 inmates lumped up in each rooms.

Five persons have been arrested in connection with the incident.
The new illegal correction or rehabilitation centers seem ubiquitous in Nigeria where hundreds of people are kept in the custody of private individuals who claimed to play rehabilitative roles whether social or spirituals.
Olukolu and the commissioner for women affairs, Fausat Sanni, said the intention of their owners may be good but they run illegally and seem not to have the requisite skills.
Beyond rescuing those in the center by law enforcement agencies, what is the state of legally recognised rehabilitation centers, correction centers and remand homes around the country? Freeing people without formal attending to what brought them to the center has greater security implication.

 

It was learnt from sources that the hint on the detention facility was made by a 17-year-old escapee of the facility
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that a special police team discovered and raided another torture centre located in Kofar Marusa area of Katsina state.
It was reported that the team which is from the inspector-general of police, Mohammed Adamu, carried out the raid on Wednesday, October 16.
The police team had arrived in three vehicles at Malam Niga centre at Kofa Marusa and took away the owner of the centre and his assistants.

 

SOURCE:

MSN

How Politicians and Oil Companies conspire to deny deny Nigerians conmesurate taxes from oil exploration.

President Muhammadu Buhari has blamed politicians and oil companies for conspiring to deny Nigeria commensurate revenue from oil production and sales, particularly taxes over the years.

He said this on Monday after signing the amended Deep Offshore Act in London, the Presidency stated.

He noted that for many years, taxes were kept at the “barest minimum above $20 per barrel.”

 

The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr Garba Shehu, in a statement, quoted Buhari’s as saying at the event, “Today is an important day for all Nigerians, particularly the young generation.

“Today, I signed into law the amended Deep Offshore Act. Nigeria will now receive its fair, rightful and equitable share of income from our own natural resources for the first time since 2003.

“In that year, oil prices began a steep increase to double, and at times, triple over the following decade.”

 

The President also said, “All this time, Nigeria has failed to secure its equitable share of the proceeds of oil production, for all attempts to amend the law on the distribution of income failed.”

He noted that rapid reductions in the cost of exploration, extraction and maintenance of oil fields had occurred over the 25-year period.

“A combination of complicity by Nigerian politicians and feet-dragging by oil companies has, for more than a quarter-century, conspired to keep taxes to the barest minimum above $20 per barrel, even as now the price is some three times the value.,” he said.

The President said for the first time, under the amended law, “200 million Nigerians will start to receive a fair return on the surfeit of resources of our land. Increased income will allow for new hospitals, schools, infrastructure and jobs.”

Buhari’s Chief of Staff, Mr Abba Kyari, reportedly witnessed the signing of the new law on Monday.

 

SOURCE:

 

MSN

How one night guard was killed by armed robbers in Ibadan.

A yet-to-be identified night watchman was allegedly killed by armed robbers in Oju-Irin in the Akobo area of Ibadan, Oyo State, on Saturday, when robbers, numbering about 15, invaded the area around 2am.

The robbers were said to have operated for hours without police intervention.

Landlords in Idi-Isin and the leader of the security guard in the area, simply identified as Mr Fagbenro, said a security guard was shot dead at Oju-Irin by the robbers before they moved to other areas, adding that some of the attacked guards were on the danger list in various hospitals.

 

Our correspondent gathered that among the people, who were injured, were a couple and 12 guards, who were working in Yawiri, Idi-Isin, Tella, Anifalaje, Apata, Iyana Akanni and Oju-Irin, where the robbers operated for several hours.

There was blood around the transformer in the area when journalists visited the spot.

One of the executive members of the landlords’ association in the Idi-Isin area, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the robbers arrived the area in a Micra Nissan car and on motorcycles and raided houses in the Yawiri area before proceeding to other areas in the community.

He confirmed to our correspondent that a guard was killed around Oju-Irin and two others, who were instructed to keep watch over the transformer at Idi-Isin, were also brutally dealt with machete blows for preventing the robbers from stealing electrical wires from the transformer.

 

According to him, the residents alerted police personnel on duty at the Akobo Police Station when they noticed the arrival of the robbers, but there was no response until around 6am.

The source stated, “It is true that the robbers killed one night guard at Oju-Irin; they also cut our night guards with machetes. I am also aware that a couple was dealt machete blows at Yawiri and about 12 other night guards were also attacked with machetes.

“Our investigations revealed that the robbers got into this area around 2am in a Micra Nisan car and on three motorcycles. Our night guards were just returning from a round of patrol when they were attacked at the transformer area. The guards are in hospital recuperating.”

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Gbenga Fadeyi, confirmed that some night guards were attacked.

He, however, denied that one of them was killed in the attack.

Fadeyi said, “The robbers ran away before the arrival of the police in the area. Efforts are being intensified to clamp down on the hoodlums, who carried out the evil act.

“Information available to me has it that the one of the night guards, who was attacked, sustained injuries and was rescued by the police.

“He was taken to the University College Hospital for treatment and he is responding to treatment. No guard was killed.”

 

SOURCE:

 

MSN