“Did I think I would be doing this at 50?–JLO.

Jennifer Lopez says turning 50 has been the “best moment of her life”.

The ‘Love Don’t Cost a Thing’ hitmaker reached the landmark age in July and although women in the entertainment business are “conditioned to think” they are finished when they have lived through five decades she feels as though she is only improving as a performer.

In an interview with this week’s issue of ES Magazine, she said: “Did I think I would be doing this at 50? I didn’t think I’d stop, but I didn’t know that it would be the best moment of my life.

 

“We’re conditioned to think, as women, that it would be over by now. And the truth is, it’s not like that at all. I find myself growing and getting better every year and that’s exciting.

“It’s ambition for sure, and also toughness. This business is not for the faint-hearted – it eats people up. To survive in it for as many years as I have, you’ve got to have a tough skin.”

Proving her career is going from strength-to-strength, J.Lo – whose career started when she got a job as a dancer on sketch show ‘In Living Color’ in 1991 – will soon be seen in crime comedy film ‘Hustlers’.

 

 

 

JLO 1

Jennifer plays a stripper in the hotly-anticipated movie which is inspired by the New York Magazine article ‘The Hustlers at Scores’ and is set in the late 2000s in New York City in the wake of the financial crisis and will follow a group of erotic dancers who plot to steal tens of thousands of dollars from their wealthy Wall Street clients.

J.Lo – who stars in the movie alongside Constance Wu, Lizzo and Cardi B – spent two months learning to pole dance for her role as Ramona Vega and she admits it was very daunting to dance “practically naked” in several scenes.

She said:

“I’m used to being on stage in sexy costumes, but I have three layers of tights and fishnets and a bodysuit. It was a brand new feeling to come out practically naked, in front of all those men – 300 extras hooting and hollering – and dance for money.

“There’s something liberating and empowering about it, but you’re really out there, physically, emotionally and psychologically.”

J.Lo admits that due to her incredible busy work schedule her marriage plans to fiancé, former baseball player Alex Rodriguez, have had to put on the back-burner.

She said:

“I have a movie I’m shooting in October [‘Marry Me’] and the movie has an album that goes with it, so I’m just a little bit busy right now, and until October, he [Alex] has the World Series in baseball. We’re going to have to pick a day, pick a time and block it out, but we’re definitely talking about it.”

 

SOURCE:

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/lifestyle/celebs/jennifer-lopez-turning-50-has-been-the-best/ar-AAGOtSx?li=BBQbhAJ

 

Advertisements

Why security council meeting is currently being held in Nigeria.

President Muhammadu Buhari is currently presiding over a security council meeting in the State House.

The council is made up of heads of security agencies in the country, including the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Gabriel Olonisakin; the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai; Chief of Naval Staff, Rear Admiral Ibok Ekwe-Ibas; and Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Abubakar Sadique.

Others are the Inspector General of Police (IG), Mohammed Adamu; Director-General of Department of State Services (DSS), Yusuf Bichi; and Director-General of the National Intelligence Agency (NIA), Ahmed Rufai, ThisDay reports.

 

President Buhari had on Wednesday, September 4, held a meeting with vice president, Professor Yemi Osinbajo in the wake of xenophobic attacks against Nigerians in South Africa.

The president held the strategic meeting with the vice president on Wednesday, September 4, at the Presidential Villa.

The minister of foreign affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, was also present at the meeting.

 

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that Bashir Magashi, the defence minister, said Nigerians should hold him and others in government responsible should President Buhari’s administration fail to deliver its promise on security of lives and properties.

The minister made this declaration on Saturday, August 31, in Kano after being honoured at an event organised by Kano Concern Citizens Initiative (KCCI).

Maga, who saluted the president for appointing capable hands into his government, said no stones will be left unturned as the new government strives to deliver promises made for Nigerians on security.

 

SOURCE:

 

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/africa/nigeria/buhari-presides-over-security-council-meeting/ar-AAGQK29?li=BBQbhAJ

How South Africa high commission offices were shut down in Nigeria.

South Africa high commission has shut down its Lagos and Abuja offices over retaliatory attacks on South African citizens and businesses by Nigerians.

The Nation reports that the directive was given by the acting high commissioner, Amb Bobby Moroe, who said he directed the mission to suspend all consular activities until the situation improved.

Legit.ng gathers that there have been retaliatory attacks against South Africans and their businesses in Nigeria over xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in South Africa.

 

According to Monroes, the reported attacks on South Africans in some parts of the country informed the decision to close down the diplomatic mission.

He said:

“I directed that the mission should be closed until the situation improves. We heard that South Africans were being pulled out of vehicles and attacked. We feel unsafe and that is why I directed that the mission should close down until further notice.”

Legit.ng previously reported that the government of President Muhamadu Buhari, on Wednesday, September 4, recalled Nigeria’s ambassador to South Africa over the recent xenophobic attacks on Africans living in that country.

A presidential source said: 

“Nigeria recalls ambassador to South Africa, pulls out of World Economic Summit, demands full compensation.”

 

Also previously reported by Legit.ng was that the minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Muhammadu Bello, appealed to residents to shun retaliatory attacks on South Africans and their businesses in the territory over xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in South Africa.

 

Bello said the federal government was making efforts to address the issue, urging residents to allow the efforts to succeed by shunning reprisal attacks.

The minister made the plea in a statement signed by his chief press secretary, Anthony Ogunleye.

According to the minister, the South African businesses in the FCT are in partnership with Nigerian investors and are contributing to the economic development of the territory.

 

SOURCE:

 

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/africa/nigeria/south-africa-high-commission-shuts-down-offices-over-retaliatory-attacks/ar-AAGQeZL?li=BBQbhAJ

Davido: No Money Osun State Can Make In 40 Years That My Dad Hasn’t Made — Victorudo Blog

Davido has stated that there is no money Osun State can make in the next 30 to 40 years that his dad has not made. The singer made this known during a private listening party at Landmark Events, Victoria Island, for his ‘A Good Time’ scheduled to drop in October. Davido also revealed the real…

via Davido: No Money Osun State Can Make In 40 Years That My Dad Hasn’t Made — Victorudo Blog

MTN condemns acts of violence, prejudice and xenophobia.

ABUJA (Reuters) – The Nigerian division of South African telecom operator MTN said on Wednesday it will shut all stores and service centers in the country until further notice after its facilities in three cities were attacked.

The facilities were attacked in retaliation after days of riots in South Africa chiefly targeting foreign-owned, including Nigerian, businesses.

“The safety and security of our customers, staff and partners is our primary concern,” MTN Nigeria said in a statement.

“MTN condemns any acts of violence, prejudice and xenophobia.”

The latest wave of unrest in South Africa has raised fears of a recurrence of violence in 2015 aimed at foreigners and in which at least seven people were killed. Before that, some 60 people were killed in a wave of unrest around the country in 2008.

 

Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari said on Tuesday he was urgently sending a special envoy to meet with President Cyril Ramaphosa to secure the “safety of (Nigerian citizens’) lives and property”.

Police have yet to pinpoint what triggered the violence, which began on Sunday when protesters armed with makeshift weapons roamed the streets of Pretoria’s business district, pelting shops with rocks and petrol bombs and running off with goods.

Nigeria is MTN’s biggest market, with 58 million users in 2018 and accounts for a third of the South African group’s core profit.

 

SOURCE:

 

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/africa/nigeria/mtn-nigeria-shuts-stores-after-anti-south-african-attacks/ar-AAGNtMC?li=BBQbhAJ

Nigeria and South Africa deeply in Diplomatic Row.

LAGOS – It took retaliations from angry Nigerians before the federal government of Nigeria could take a drastic and decisive decision on the incessant attacks on Nigerians residing in South Africa.

The xenophobic attacks in South Africa have worsened in the past week leading to the destruction and looting of many business premises including those owned by Nigerians. At least five people are reported killed in the attacks which the South African government said it is trying to curb. Many Nigerians have accused the South African government of not doing enough to stop the violence there.

Nigeria’s Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, on Tuesday, however, described the attacks by angry Nigerians on South African businesses as “deeply disturbing”, saying that targeting South African businesses is a “classic case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.”

Some angry Nigerians took to the street in some parts of the country on Tuesday attacking companies such as MTN, Shoprite, PEP, Dstv, all supposedly belonging to South Africa. Though, some hoodlums took advantage of the outrage against the treatment of their countrymen in South Africa.

 

A major South African clothing retailer, PEP which has one of its stores in Surulere area of Lagos, was looted on Tuesday evening. Videos and pictures of the looting were circulated by several Twitter users on Tuesday. Some hoodlums on Tuesday evening burned down the MTN office in Bodija, Ibadan, the Oyo State capital.

Also in Lagos, at least a man was allegedly killed by policemen outside a Shoprite outlet in Lekki area of Lagos. Eyewitness accounts have it that the man was shot by the police while they (police) were trying to prevent looting of the shopping mall. A police vehicle was also reportedly burnt in the fracas.

The Information minister in a statement by his spokesman, Segun Adeyemi, said noted that those attacks on the companies were needless, adding that majority of the workers in the South African companies operating in Nigeria are also Nigerians.

Mohammed stated that Nigerian workers in the companies will be hardest hit if such companies are forced to shut down for fear of attacks.

While assuring Nigerians that the federal government was already taking decisive measures to put an end to the persistent xenophobic attacks against Nigerians in South Africa, the minister disclosed that, ”President Muhammadu Buhari has dispatched a Special Envoy to convey to his South African counterpart, President Cyril Ramaphosa, his concerns and also interact with his South African counterpart on the situation.”

 

He also said the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, acting on the instructions of President Buhari, summoned the South African High Commissioner to Nigeria to get a brief on the situation.

He said Mr Onyeama expressed Nigeria’s displeasure over the treatment of her citizens and secured assurance of the safety of their lives and property.

Reactions have also continued pouring in from concerned individuals in the country. The Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the 2019 elections, Atiku Abubakar, called for the involvement of the African Union (AU) in ending xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in South Africa.

Atiku tweeted on Tuesday saying that urgent steps need to be taken with South African authorities and the AU on the issue.“Reported attacks against Nigerians in South Africa are unacceptable and stands condemned. Urgent steps need to be taken with the SA authorities and the African Union to bring an end to this ill wind that can only end up destroying the fabric of our African brotherhood,” he said.

The Chairman/Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), Abike Dabiri-Erewa on her part, said that the intervention of the African Union (AU) would be vital in ending attacks on Nigerians in South Africa.

She said that although she could not verify most of the videos of the attacks, whatever decisions needed to be taken could only be done at the ministerial level. “Sad, Reports from South Africa attacking foreigners. I can’t verify most of the videos. However, whatever decisions to be taken now can only be at the ministerial level. AU intervention may be crucial. This is not what we should be doing to ourselves as Africans,” she said on Monday.

Also, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, joined in condemning the attacks on Nigerians in South Africa, describing the development as a betrayal of the key role Nigeria played to liberate the country from apartheid.

Osinbajo, who spoke in Kano during a visit to inaugurate the Energizing Education Power Project at Bayero University Kano, said: “Let me say first that these recent attacks are condemnable. It is very sad and very unfortunate that the lives and livelihoods of Nigerians living in South Africa are once again being destroyed with such wantonness and with such carelessness and recklessness.

“It is unfortunate because Nigeria and Nigerians invested a great deal in the destruction and the pulling down of apartheid. Besides, these acts of bigotry are entirely contrary to the very ideals that all the great South African leaders including the present President fought for, and for which many gave their lives.

“Mr. President has already spoken about this and obviously we are very concerned and certainly intend to take this up with the authorities in South Africa in order to ensure that this sort of thing does not repeat itself. This is absolutely unacceptable and unconscionable,” said Osinbajo.

However, the federal government has demanded for compensation for the victims affected by the attacks.

Speaking at a joint news briefing with the South African High Commissioner to Nigeria, Mr. Bobby Moroe, Onyeama, stated that the proposal also includes security collaboration between the two countries.

According to Onyeama, “We feel that very definitive measures have to be taken to stop once and for all this act of aggression and criminality against Nigerians in South Africa. For us, Nigerian government, we are determined that we should not have any reoccurrence of this going forward. So, we have to put in place mechanism to ensure that this does not occur.

“We made very concrete proposals to South African government today, and we believe if those measures are implemented, we will have a very good chance of ensuring that this does not reoccur. In the first place, we must address the issue of compensation. There has to be accountability and there has to be responsibility for compensating all those Nigerians that have suffered loss and we are going to absolutely push forward.

“Secondly, we believe that the two security forces (South Africa and Nigeria), can have an arrangement where there will be cooperation on the ground in South Africa to arrest such events and occurrences and this is obvious something we have to work out details with the South African government and hopefully, see us addressing at the field level the challenges caused by this incessant attacks so we have put that forward to the South Africa government. Very clear proposals and we will be discussing that and hopefully the South African government will support us in that initiative as we believe it will make all the difference.”

The minister said past efforts made to stem the incessant attacks included a jointly agreed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) which the South African government was yet to sign.

Nigerians are hoping that these recent efforts by the federal government will address the situation in South Africa as President Muhammadu Buhari has already sent a special envoy down to South Africa to meet President Cyril Ramaphosa and register his displeasure over the killing of Nigerians in South Africa. The envoy is expected to land in Pretoria today (Thursday).

In a statement signed by the President’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, Buhari said he was deeply concerned about the “reported attacks on Nigerian citizens and property in South Africa since August 29, 2019.”

The Presidency also stated that, already, Buhari had “instructed the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, to summon the South African High Commissioner to Nigeria and get a brief on the situation; express Nigeria’s displeasure over the treatment of her citizens; and assurance of the safety of their lives and property.”

 

SOURCE:

 

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/africa/nigeria/xenophobic-attacks-nigeria-south-africa-in-diplomatic-row/ar-AAGP4EJ?li=BBQbhAJ