Once again, yesterday, President Muhammadu Buhari assured Nigerians that his administration will resolve lingering insecurity-related issues in some parts of the country.
The president specifically said successes recorded in degrading Boko Haram in the North East would be extended to various parts of the country experiencing security challenges.
President Buhari said these when he met with executive members of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA), led by the President, Dr. Francis Adedayo Faduyile, at the State House, yesterday.
At the meeting, Buhari appealed to governors and local government chairmen to complement the Federal Government’s effort and get more children off the streets and into classrooms.
This was even as the president said efforts are ongoing to improve employment level, following the success in getting many into the agricultural sector and stressed that opening up the economy for investments and getting the youths engaged will control crime rate.
The president spoke on health and education and urged states and local governments to play stronger roles in complementing government efforts, especially in getting more children into classrooms.
“The issues of health and education are constitutional. If there are too many almajiris in a state, then the government is not following the constitution. The states also have elite who are educated enough to remind their governments about their responsibility to almajiris,” he said.
According to Buhari, successes recorded in degrading terrorists in the North East will be extended to various parts of the country experiencing challenges, assuring Nigerians that security still tops his list of priorities.
“If you cannot secure a country or institution, you cannot manage it.”
NEW YORK (AP) — The Mexican drug kingpin Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman has been sentenced to life behind bars in a US prison, a humbling end for a drug lord once notorious for his ability to kill, bribe or tunnel his way out of trouble.
A federal judge in Brooklyn handed down the sentence Wednesday, five months after Guzman’s conviction in an epic drug-trafficking case.
The 62-year-old drug lord, who had been protected in Mexico by an army of gangsters and an elaborate corruption operation, was brought to the US to stand trial after he twice escaped from Mexican prisons.
Before he was sentenced, Guzman, complained about the conditions of his confinement and told the judge he was denied a fair trial. He said US District Judge Brian Cogan failed to thoroughly investigate claims of juror misconduct.
“My case was stained and you denied me a fair trial when the whole world was watching,” Guzman said in court through an interpreter. “When I was extradited to the United States, I expected to have a fair trial, but what happened was exactly the opposite.”
The harsh sentence was pre-ordained. The guilty verdict in February at Guzman’s 11-week trial triggered a mandatory sentence of life without parole.
The evidence showed that under Guzman’s orders, the Sinaloa cartel was responsible for smuggling mountains of cocaine and other drugs into the US during his 25-year reign, prosecutors said in court papers re-capping the trial. They also said his “army of sicarios” was under orders to kidnap, torture and murder anyone who got in his way.
The defense argued he was framed by other traffickers who became government witnesses so they could get breaks in their own cases.
Guzman has been largely cut off from the outside world since his extradition in 2017 and his remarks in the courtroom Wednesday could be the last time the public hears from him. Guzman thanked his family for giving him “the strength to bare this torture that I have been under for the past 30 months.”
Wary of his history of escaping from Mexican prisons, US authorities have kept him in solitary confinement in an ultra-secure unit at a Manhattan jail and under close guard at his appearances at the Brooklyn courthouse where his case unfolded.
Experts say he will likely wind up at the federal government’s ” Supermax” prison in Florence, Colorado, known as the “Alcatraz of the Rockies,” from which no inmate has ever escaped.
Most inmates at Supermax are given a television, but their only actual view of the outside world is a 4-inch window. They have minimal interaction with other people and eat all their meals in their cells.
While the trial was dominated by Guzman’s persona as a near-mythical outlaw who carried a diamond-encrusted handgun and stayed one step ahead of the law, the jury never heard from Guzman himself, except when he told the judge he wouldn’t testify.
Serena Williams and her daughter follow the same beauty routine.
The 37-year-old tennis player and 21-month-old Olympia – who she has with her husband Alexis Ohanian – share the same evening pampering procedure and the first step in their joint ritual is to apply coconut oil to their skin because it has ”amazing” moisturising properties and is also a great natural make-up remover.
”The first step in my routine, when I’m taking off my make-up and coming undone, I actually do something completely different. I use coconut oil because it’s amazing. I use it for everything you can think of. This could literally be your only step if that’s all you want.
”Olympia, who is my daughter, actually does the routine with me. And it’s safe for kids too. She’s only one-and-a-half and she loves it.”
Serena keeps her complexion bright and flaw-free by using a vitamin C enriched serum, which she discovered on her babymoon.
”I actually found this [Vine Vera Resveratol Vitamin C Serum $246] on my babymoon in Mexico. I just do a couple dabs and I always give Olympia some dabs. I feel like whatever you’re using under your eye is super moisturising and it can work for the whole face.”
The seven-time Wimbledon winner went on to reveal that since she hit aged 30, she has noticed she now has a ”5 o’clock shadow”, so Serena will use brightening products to make the area appear glowy and flawless.
Speaking in US Harper’s Bazaar’s ‘Go To Bed With Me’ YouTube series, she continued:
”Honestly, I have a little 5 o’clock shadow, so I put it on top of my moustache.
”I hit 30 and after that everything has become either moustache or beard, let’s just be honest ladies. So I do that there too because I think if it’s brightening, maybe it’ll brighten that too.
”The last thing I’m going to today, and sometimes honestly it varies, I’m not that routine type of girl – I have my Mario Badescu — I absolutely love this stuff. It gives me this crazy glow, but I always use it at night too because I like the way it smells.”
Samson Siasia’s, mother, Ogere Siasia, has been kidnapped by unidentified gunmen in Bayelsa state.
According to The Nation, information concerning the abduction of the septuagenarian, is still sketchy at the time of going to press.
However, reports from security details suggest the gunmen whisked away the aged-woman from her home at Adoni community Sagbama Local Government Area at about 2am on Monday, July 15.
Interestingly, this is the second time in four years the former Super Eagles manager will go in search of his mother.
On November 17, 2015, armed bandits stormed Siasia’s family house at Odoni community of Sagama Local Council Area of Bayelsa State in the wee hours and forcefully whisked away Mrs. Siasia way on a motorcycle.
Earlier, Legit.ng reported that mother of Super Eagles winger Samuel Kalu has finally been released by the abductors who kidnapped her for almost a week.
The mother of Samuel known as Mrs Juliet was kidnapped in her home town of Umuamacha Umueze in Abia state. Initially, the abductors were said to have demanded the sum of N3 million ransom for Samuel Kalu’s mother to be released.
But after getting the agreed money, they changed their decision thereby asking for another N15m before they would free Samuel Kalu’s mother.
A former South African football star has been shot dead while driving in Johannesburg.
Marc Batchelor, former Kaizer Chiefs and Orlando Pirates player, was gunned down in his car on Monday evening, police confirmed.
He was fatally shot when two gunmen on motorbikes opened fire on his vehicle in Olivedale, according to reports.
The motive for the attack is not yet known and a murder investigation has been launched, South African news broadcaster eNCA reported.
Images circulated on social media showed a bullet-riddled window on what was reported to be Mr Batchelor’s vehicle.
Police spokesman Lungelo Dlamini told Soccer Laduma:
“Yes, he was shot this evening by two men on a motorbike.”
“He died in his vehicle and nothing was taken. The motive is yet to be established, but we are investigating.”
No arrests have been made.
Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State has published his asset declaration document which shows he has in excess of N48 billion in both cash and properties.
The governor, who visited the Oyo State office of the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) in Ibadan to receive a copy of the asset declaration form said that his decision to make the assets public was in fulfillment of a personal promise he made during the elections.
In a statement by Taiwo Adisa, Chief Press Secretary to the governor, the assets declaration form, marked OYSE/2019/001 contained details of cash at hand, in the bank, landed properties (developed and undeveloped), household items, share and bonds owed by the governor, his wife, Omini Makinde, as well as his companies.
According to details of the asset form the governor of Oyo State had cash at hand and in the bank worth N234, 742,296.01, as at May 28, 2019.
In dollar terms, the governor has cash valued at $30,056.99 as at the same date.
Properties, including the developed and undeveloped as well as household items indicated on the asset forms, showed that the governor is worth N2, 624,800,500 as at the date of asset declaration.
In dollar terms, the governor also declared properties, developed and undeveloped as well as household items valued at $4,400,000.
In South African Rands, the governor declared buildings and household items worth four million, four hundred and fifty-seven thousand, five hundred and fifty-four and four South African Rands.
The houses declared by the governor include nine buildings in Nigeria, two in the United States of America and one in South Africa.
One of the properties in the United States is described as “jointly owned.”
The details showed the current value of Makinde’s companies stand at N48, 150,736,889 with 33, 730,000 units of shares as at May 28, 2019.
The governor also has existing Bonds (Eurobond) worth $3, 793, 500 as well as shares, debentures and other securities valued at N120,500,000.
The companies listed by the governor include Makon Engineering and Technical Services Limited; Energy Traders and Technical Services Limited; Makon Oil and Gas Limited; Makon Group Limited, Makon Construction Limited and Makon Power System Limited.
The asset declaration form indicated that Governor Makinde’s four companies have additional assets denominated as loan notes including Makon Engineering and Technical Services Limited (N1.7 billion); Makon Power System Limited (N148.4 million); Makon Oil and Gas Limited (N341 million); Energy Traders and Technical Services Limited(N1.159bn) totalling N3.389 billion.
CHICAGO (AP) — A federal judge on Tuesday ordered R. Kelly held in jail without bond after a prosecutor warned that the singer accused of having sex with minors and trying to cover up the crimes would pose an extreme danger to young girls if set free.
“If he was attracted to middle school girls in 1999 then he’s still attracted to middle school girls,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Angel Krull told U.S. District Judge Harry Leinenweber. “That’s who the defendant is and that, your honor, makes him a danger today.”
Leinenweber said that under federal law Kelly would have to prove that he was not a danger to the public and Kelly’s attorney, Steve Greenberg, had failed to do so.
Kelly was arrested while walking his dog in Chicago last week and faces an array of sex-related charges in Chicago and New York . Appearing in court wearing an orange jumpsuit and shacked at the ankles, he said only two words, “Yes, sir,” when the judge asked him if he understood the charges. Two women who recently lived with Kelly, Azriel Clary and Joycelyn Savage, attended the court hearing Tuesday.
The ruling Tuesday means that Kelly, who pleaded not guilty to the charges contained in the Chicago indictment , will remain in custody to face a separate indictment in New York. He is charged there with racketeering, kidnapping, forced labor and the sexual exploitation of a child.
It was unclear when that hearing would be held and if he would have to be transported to New York for the hearing, or could appear via a video linkup from Chicago.
The decision to deny bond also raised the possibility that the 52-year-old Kelly could spend the rest of his life behind bars. Renato Mariotti, a former federal prosecutor in Chicago, said that “each of the federal indictments could take one to two years to go to trial.” Depending on delays in the case, Mariotti said Kelly’s stay in jail awaiting trial could go on a lot longer than that.
Krull portrayed Kelly as a predator who went to great lengths to find young girls and kept them under his control. She said that the evidence in the federal indictments against him is overwhelming. If convicted, the maximum sentence for the charges contained in the Illinois indictment is 195 years in prison and 80 years for the charges contained in the New York indictment.
Kelly, whose real name is Robert Sylvester Kelly, was first arrested on sex-related charges in 2002 after a video of Kelly having sex with 14-year-old girl was sent to the Chicago Sun-Times. After extensive delays, a Chicago jury acquitted him in 2008 in part because the girl did not testify at the trial, Krull said Kelly was acquitted only because he paid off the victim and her family. She said the alleged victim in that video has since testified before a federal grand jury and confirmed it was her.
“Electronic monitoring can’t stop obstruction of justice, witness tampering…” Krull said. “He can entice victims to his own home.”
Kelly’s legal troubles mounted when he was arrested in February and charged with 10 counts in Illinois of sexually abusing three girls and a woman. He pleaded not guilty to those charges and was released on bail.
Then on May 30, Cook County prosecutors added 11 sex-related counts involving one of the women who accused him of sexually abusing her when she was underage. The federal charges filed last week are separate from the Illinois case.
Greenberg said preparing for trial will be a long process made even more difficult because Kelly does not know how to read and therefore someone must visit him in jail to read him the reams of documents the case will generate.
He said Kelly is no longer rich and has filed for bankruptcy.
“How could he flee?” Greenberg asked. “He has no money.”
A former presidential aide, Akin Osuntokun, has taken a swipe at President Muhammadu Buhari over his comments on those he says are politicising the issue of insecurity in the country.
Osuntokun who was a guest on Channels TV’s Politics Today, said, Buhari’s casual detachment to Nigerians is getting out of hand.
The president recently stated that those who politicize the isolated incidents of insecurity are not patriotic Nigerians.
“What do you mean by politicising? who is politicising it?
“That is his (President Buhari’s) own interpretation according to his own convenience. In any case, if people are commenting on issues, how does that amount to politicisation?
“What of those people who are victims? This type of casual detachment to people is getting out of hand.
“When he (President Buhari) was attacked some years ago, did people not talk? Did people not raise issues then? Should people not have talked now? Now you want people to be quiet.”
A professor of criminal justice system and penology, Ussiju Medaner, who was also a guest on the programme, however, disagreed with Osuntokun’s stance, insisting that the issue of insecurity is indeed being politicised.
Professor Medaner said:
“When we talk about security, it is everybody’s business. And I think if we can do that, we can help the country and not just trying to be a disinterested but benefitting party in the security situation in the country.
“This is an issue that the world over is facing. Let me just refer you to what is happening in Cape Town, just within a month 3,000 people were killed in gun violence.
“What the country is doing is not to go to the media to politicise it. They came together to proffer solution.”
Meanwhile, a meeting of northern leaders on Tuesday, July 2, warned that Nigeria was gradually drifting into anarchy as a result of the failure of government to address the security challenges confronting the country.
The leaders included retired army generals, inspectors general of police, intelligence experts, academia and other technocrats.
They gave the warning at a two-day northern Nigeria security conference in Kaduna, organised by Arewa Research and Development Project in collaboration with Sir Ahmadu Bello Foundation, Savanna Centre for Diplomacy, Democracy and Development as well as the Joint Committee of Northern Youth Associations.