How Morsi was buried in Cairo.

CAIRO — Mohamed Morsi, Egypt’s first democratically elected president, was buried in a closed funeral on Tuesday, a day after his death inside a Cairo courtroom triggered calls for a probe into whether he had received adequate medical care in prison.

The 67-year-old Morsi was interred in a cemetery in Cairo’s eastern enclave of Nasr City, after Egyptian authorities refused to allow his family to bury him in his family’s graveyard in the Nile Delta province of Sharqiya, his son Ahmad Morsi said in a Facebook post.

The family attended funeral prayers in the mosque of the capital’s Tora prison, where they washed and shrouded his corpse and performed other traditional rites, said Morsi. Afterwords he was buried, in a ceremony only attended by family members, under heavy security.

Egyptian security agents prevented reporters and photographers from attending the funeral and barred journalists from traveling to Morsi’s village.

Morsi, a senior leader of the Islamist Muslim Brotherhood movement, was elected president in 2012, a year after Egypt’s Arab Spring uprising toppled longtime autocrat Hosni Mubarak. That vote is still considered the country’s only fairly-contested presidential election and for many Egyptians, Morsi’s victory represented hope that democracy would take root after decades of military-led rule.

But within a year, Morsi had lost much of his political goodwill. Critics accused him of seeking to usurp power, mismanaging the economy and to Islamize the government and nation.

In July 2013, the military ousted Morsi after massive demonstrations erupted against his government, arresting him and other top Islamist leaders.

 

Tuesday’s burial comes as Morsi’s supporters and human rights groups have demanded an impartial and transparent investigation by an international body into the circumstances surrounding his death. They allege that Morsi, who suffered from diabetes and liver disease, was denied vital medical care by Egyptian authorities in prison, causing his health to deteriorate.

Egyptian authorities and local media reports suggest Morsi died of a possible heart attack or stroke. The nation’s public prosecutor said a report was being prepared into the cause of the death. It’s unclear if that was completed before Tuesday’s burial, which in Islam is usually within 24 hours of death.

The Muslim Brotherhood, whose top members are now in exile in Turkey and other parts of the world, described Morsi’s death as “murder.”

Morsi was held in solitary confinement for six years, largely denied access to family, friends and lawyers. His family was permitted to visit him only three times.

In calling for an investigation, Human Rights Watch’s Middle East and North Africa director, Sarah Leah Whitson, said that Morsi’s death “followed years of government mistreatment” and that his medical care was “inadequate.”

“At the very least, the Egyptian government committed grave abuses against Morsi by denying him prisoners’ rights that met minimum standards.”

In a statement Tuesday, Egypt’s State Information Service called the allegations a “new ethical low” and “an attempt to prematurely reach outcomes with the most politicized intentions.” It added that the accusations of medical mistreatment are “unfounded.”

A month after the military toppled Morsi, Egyptians troops raided protest camps, killing hundreds of Morsi’s supporters in Cairo’s Rabaa al-Adawiya Square and other areas. Human Rights Watch called it “one of the world’s largest killings of demonstrators in a single day in recent history.”

The Muslim Brotherhood was outlawed as a “terrorist group.”

During the coup and the massacre, the army was led by Gen. Abdel Fatah al-Sissi. He became Egypt’s president in 2014 and was reelected last year after all his credible opponents dropped out due to arrest, intimidation or the lack of a level playing field.

Sissi’s government has jailed tens of thousands of Brotherhood members and supporters, all but crushing the movement. His authoritarianism has spread since 2017, silencing most forms of dissent, including shutting down hundreds of websites deemed critical and most independent media.

The government also continued to target Morsi and other top Muslim Brotherhood leaders even while they were in prison. A death sentence was commuted to life imprisonment, but Morsi kept facing multiple trials for inciting violence and other charges.

When he collapsed inside a glass cage where defendants are held in the courtroom on Monday, he was on trial on charges of engaging in espionage with Hamas, the Palestinian militant group.

 

CULLED FROM:

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/egypts-ousted-president-morsi-buried-in-cairo-after-controversial-courtroom-death/2019/06/18/d4f0988a-919f-11e9-b570-6416efdc0803_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a2d8221c19a2

Advertisements

Qatar Inquiry: Michel Platini Arrested.

French anti-corruption police have arrested former UEFA president Michel Platini, in a case related to “Qatargate” — the ongoing investigations into Qatar being awarded the 2022 World Cup. Platini is also a former vice president of FIFA, soccer’s international governing body.

Platini, 63, was taken into police custody and is now at the offices of France’s anti-corruption judicial police in Nanterre, according to the French web site Mediapart, which was first to report the news. Known by the acronym OCLCIFF, the French police agency specializes in complex cases involving financial fraud, corruption and breaches of integrity.

News of Platini’s arrest gripped the world of international football Tuesday. Just four years ago, Platini was the powerful head of Europe’s football association and was seen as the heir apparent to then-FIFA president Sepp Blatter. At the time, the former French soccer star was also a FIFA vice president.

But Platini was sidelined by FIFA in late 2015, when the body’s ethics committee suspended him from all soccer-related activities for eight years, citing a $2 million payment Platini received from FIFA when Sepp Blatter was its president.

 

CULLED FROM:

 

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/18/733635876/michel-platini-europes-former-soccer-boss-is-arrested-as-part-of-qatar-inquiry

How Nigeria was trashed by France in World Cup.

France completed World Cup group play with a 3-0 record for the first time, beating Nigeria 1-0 Monday night at Rennes when Wendie Renard converted a penalty kick in the 79th minute after missing her first attempt but getting a second chance.

France will play a third-place team on Sunday at Le Havre in the round of 16, and the winner will advance to a quarterfinal against the United States, Sweden or Spain.

Referee Melissa Borjas of Honduras awarded the penalty kick when Viviane Asseyi was knocked over by Ngozi Ebere, a call upheld in a video review and one that drew vehement protests from the Super Falcons. Eberle was given her second yellow card of the match for the foul, causing Nigeria to finish a player short.

 

Renard’s initial attempt was wide to the right of goalkeeper Chiamaka Nnadozie, but Borjas ordered the kick retaken because Nnadozie came off the line before the ball was kicked. Renard’s second try went in to Nnadozie’s right for her third goal of the tournament.

A crowd of 28,267 watched host nation Les Bleues outshoot Nigeria 22-2 and hold 69 percent possession. France advance to the knockout stage for the third straight World Cup.

Nigeria finished third in Group A with three points and a minus-two goal difference, and the Super Falcons will have to wait to find out whether they can advance as one of the four top third-place teams. Nigeria has played in every Women’s World Cup but advanced past the group stage just once, reaching the quarterfinals in 1999.

 

CULLED FROM:

 

http://www.msn.com/en-xl/sport/football/france-goes-3-0-at-world-cup-with-1-0-win-over-nigeria/ar-AAD3lPE?li=BBQbcGp&ocid=spartandhp

Why Queen will miss Archie’s baptism next month.

The Queen will not attend baby Archie’s christening, it is claimed.

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry ‘s son will be christened next month, however, the monarch is not expected to be at the event.

Senior royals are said to be going to the ceremony, and Meghan’s mum, Doria Ragland, will also likely be in attendance.

However, the Queen will miss the occasion because of prior commitments, a report says.

The Palace confirmed that the Queen will be absent, according to the Daily Express .

The monarch also skipped last year’s christening for Prince Louis – William and Kate Middleton’s third child.

However, she was able to make the ceremony for Zara and Mike Tindall’s daughter Lena this year.

Meghan’s mum Doria Ragland is flying back to the UK to be at Archie’s christening.

She moved in with Harry and Meghan after the birth to help her daughter, however, she recently returned home to California, US.

The christening will take place at St George’s Chapel, where the royal couple wed, and is likely to be a traditional affair.

It is believed the religious ritual will be carried out by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, and the Dean of Windsor, David Conner.

Prince Charles, Harry’s father, is expected to attend, alongside his wife Camilla.

The Duke of Sussex’s brother, Prince William, and wife Kate Middleton will also be at the ceremony, potentially with their children George, Charlotte and Louis.

 

CULLED FROM:

 

http://www.msn.com/en-xl/europe/life-arts/the-queen-will-not-attend-baby-archies-christening-next-month/ar-AAD00aL?li=BBQbcGp&ocid=spartandhp

 

Maradona launched stinging attack on Argentina National Team.

Argentina legend Diego Maradona has launched a stinging attack on the current national side after their defeat to Colombia in their Copa America opener on Saturday.

Runners-up in 2015 and 2016, Argentina were hoping to make a flying start to the competition as they seek a first Copa America title since 1993.

However, second half goals from Roger Martinez and Duvan Zapata secured victory for Colombia in their Group B opener in El Salvador , their first victory over Argentina for 12 years.

 

It leaves Lionel Scaloni’s side bottom of Group D after Paraguay drew 2-2 with tournament debutants Qatar at the Maracana in Rio de Janeiro on Sunday.

It is yet another disappointment for La Albiceleste, who named a strong side including the likes of Angel Di Maria, Lionel Messi and Sergio Aguero.

They have yet to win an international competition since that 1993 Copa America triumph, though they were beaten twice on penalties by Chile in the final of the 2015 and 2016 tournaments.

The team is often accused of failing to make the most of their talents and transferring their club form to the international stage, a theme which continued in the wake of his latest defeat.

Speaking after the game, Maradona, who almost single-handidly inspired the team to their last World Cup triumph in 1986, did not hold back in his criticism, questioning the squad’s desire as well as their ability.

“You realise that even Tonga could beat us,” Maradona told TyCsports.

“We have a prestige we built up kicking and punching. Let it be remembered that when we left Peru our bus was smashed up. What’s left from all that? What does this shirt mean? You have to feel it, for f*ck’s sake.”

Maradona is back in his homeland after being forced to leave his role as coach of Mexican side Dorados de Sinaloa for medical reasons.

The 58-year-old previously had a short spell in charge of the Argentina national team between 2008 and 2010 but left after a 4-0 quarter-final defeat to Germany at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

Next up for Argentina is a game against Paraguay in Belo Horizonte on Wednesday.

 

CULLED FROM:

 

http://www.msn.com/en-xl/sport/football/even-tonga-could-beat-us-maradona-slams-argentina-after-copa-america-defeat/ar-AAD2ZyD?li=BBQbcGp&ocid=spartandhp

How Tite advised Neymar–“I would go to a team where I always felt happy – as a person, as a human being and as a family, because there I will be professionally better,”

Brazil coach Tite told Neymar to move to where he will be happy as the Paris Saint-Germain star is linked with a return to Barcelona.

Neymar, 27, could reportedly head back to Camp Nou just two years after leaving the LaLiga giants for PSG.

According to Globo Esporte, Barca may pay €100million and give PSG players to bring Neymar back to the club he spent four seasons at.

Tite, who is without the forward at the Copa America due to an ankle injury, urged Neymar to go where he felt happiest.

“I would go to a team where I always felt happy – as a person, as a human being and as a family, because there I will be professionally better,” he told a news conference.

“They are very particular situations. It is a professional issue. It has to do with where you feel good, where you feel happy.”

Without Neymar, Brazil opened their Copa America campaign by beating Bolivia 3-0 in Group A.

Ahead of facing Venezuela in Salvador on Tuesday, Tite was giving nothing away about his team’s approach.

“The biggest meaning and the most important thing is not to give opportunities to give the opponent an idea about how we are going to play,” he said.

“We don’t want to make it easier for the opponent, since the players know who will play.”

 

CULLED FROM:

 

http://www.msn.com/en-xl/sport/football/neymar-should-play-where-he-is-happiest-%e2%80%93-tite/ar-AAD2SRf?li=BBQbcGp&ocid=spartandhp

 

How Osun Poll Election will be decided upon by Supreme Court on July 5.

The Supreme Court on Monday fixed July 5 to deliver its judgment on the dispute arising from the September 2018 governorship election in Osun State.

The Peoples Democratic Party and its candidate in the said election, Ademola Adeleke, had filed four separate appeals before the apex court to challenge the Abuja Division Court of Appeal’s decision affirming the All Progressives Congress and its Governor Adegboyega Oyetola as the winner of the poll.

A seven-man panel of the apex court led by the Acting Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Tanko Muhammad, has already heard one of the appeals on Monday.

The decision in the particular appeal filed by Adeleke is to be binding on two other appeals, while the fourth appeal will be heard and a judgment delivered on it separately.

The seven man-panel rose after hearing the first appeal on Monday.

 

The panel is to return shortly to conclude the hearing on the remaining appeals.

Other members of the panel led by Justice Muhammad are Justices Kumai Akaahs, Kudirat Kekere-Ekun, Amiru Sanusi, Paul Galinje and Uwani Abba-Aji.

At the proceedings, the appellants’ lawyer, Dr. Onyechi Ikpeazu (SAN), urged the apex court to uphold his clients’ appeal, upturn the judgment of the Court of Appeal and affirm that of the Osun State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal which had upturned Oyetola’s election and declared Adeleke as the true winner of the poll.

But Oyetola’s lawyer, Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN), urged the court to dismiss the appeal and affirm the judgment of the Court of Appeal.

Counsel for the Independent National Electoral Commission, Mr. Yusuf Ali (SAN), and that for the APC, Olumide Olujinmi, also urged the apex court to dismiss the appeal.

The appellants are by their appeal challenging the May 9, 2019 majority judgment of the Abuja Division of the Court of Appeal which affirmed Oyetola’s victory at the September 2018 poll.

Dissatisfied with INEC’s declaration of Oyetola as the winner of the September 2018 governorship election, Adeleke and the PDP had filed a petition praying for an order nullifying the election and declaring them as the winner.

By a split decision of two-to-one, the three-man tribunal had in its verdict delivered on March 22, 2019 nullified the election of Oyetola and his party and declared Adeleke and his PDP as the duly elected.

 

But, on May 9, 2019, the Court of Appeal, in a four-to-one split decision of its five-man panel led by Justice Jummai Sankey, nullified the majority verdict of the tribunal.

Justice Sankey along with three other members of the panel, Justices Abubakar Yahaya, Isaiah Akeju, and Bitrus Sanga, adopted the majority judgments on the three appeals which went in favour of the APC and its candidate.

But another member of the panel, Justice George Mbaba, dissented from the majority judgments in the three appeals.

Justice Mbaba, went on to dismiss the three appeals filed by Oyetola, the APC and the Independent National Electoral Commission and upheld the majority judgment of the tribunal which declared Adeleke and the PDP as the true winner.

Both PDP and Adeleke appealed to the Supreme Court against the majority decision of the Court of Appeal.

 

CULLED FROM:

 

http://www.msn.com/en-xl/africa/nigeria/supreme-court-delivers-judgment-on-osun-gov-poll-july-5/ar-AAD0dGS?li=BBQbcGp&ocid=spartandhp